Kim Dotcom’s Mega file-sharing site could get a mega boost with the launch of its mobile apps. New Zealand’s Stuff reports that Mega chief executive Vikram Kumar “expects the number of people using Dotcom’s new Mega online file storage service to double in about a month to more than 6 million” now that the site is on the verge of releasing mobile apps for both Android and iOS. Kumar predicts that the apps will have mass appeal because “people are really waiting… for Mega to have the equivalent functionality of DropBox which is when people get these apps and the ability to synchronise with their desktops.” Dotcom launched Mega this past January and claimed that the site had attracted more than 3 million users in just its first month of operation.
It looks like the entertainment industry may have gotten its money’s worth after law enforcement officials shut down Kim Dotcom’s Megaupload last year. The Wall Street Journal reports that movie sales increased significantly after Megaupload went offline, according to new study conducted by Wellesley College assistant professor of economics Brett Danaher and Carnegie Mellon University professor Michael D. Smith. The two researchers say that “shutting down Megaupload and Megavideo caused some customers to shift from cyberlocker-based piracy to purchasing or renting through legal digital channels,” contradicting earlier studies that suggested shutting down the site did little to lessen online piracy. More →
Kim Dotcom has never been shy about tooting his own horn, and this week he boasted on his Twitter account that his new Mega file-sharing website now has more than 3 million users. It has also hosted more than 125 million files ever since coming online just a month ago. Dotcom said that Mega’s encryption remains “unbroken,” that “most” of its bugs had been fixed, and that the website will soon launch a mobile app and a sync client. The last year has been a long, strange trip for Dotcom, who has been engaged in a legal battle with law enforcement officials who shut down his original Megaupload file-sharing site in early 2012. Throughout the year, authorities also accused Dotcom of owning an Internet doomsday machine and of having the world’s most dangerous belly, among other questionable assertions.
Kim Dotcom isn’t the world’s most likely celebrity — a German born New Zealander who had been best known for running a website called Megaupload that was used primarily by people looking to share large files with one another and that wasn’t on the radar of the average Internet user. But as ZDNet’s Jack Schofield notes, the American government’s heavy-handedness, along with Dotcom’s own keen media savvy, have both conspired to make Dotcom into a media sensation who has now attracted more than 1 million users to his new Mega website in just one day. More →
Kim Dotcom launched the successor to his shuttered Megaupload service this past Saturday and early adoption has been impressive. While speaking during a launch event for the new service, called simply “Mega,” Dotcom said that more than 1 million users joined the site in just one day, The Next Web reported. “We cannot be stopped,” Dotcom exclaimed, speaking directly to media rights holders that have targeted the alleged piracy kingpin. Mega is a file-sharing service similar to the original Megaupload site but it uses a complex encryption mechanism that prevents even Mega from knowing what files are hosted on its servers. Downloaded files can only be decrypted with a unique decryption key made available to the original file holder when a file is uploaded to the Mega site.
What a long, strange trip it’s been for Kim Dotcom. Last year at this time, he was arrested at his New Zealand mansion and his Megaupload file-sharing website was shut down due to accusations that it was a hub for Internet piracy. Throughout the year, authorities accused Dotcom of owning an Internet doomsday machine and of having the world’s most dangerous belly, among other questionable assertions. While all this was going on, however, Dotcom was planning to make an epic comeback with a new file-sharing website, simply dubbed Mega, that he vowed would have ironclad legal protection. More →
Kim Dotcom’s new Mega file-sharing site hasn’t even launched yet, but it’s already proving as controversial as his previous ventures. New Zealand’s TVNZ reports that radio station company Mediaworks has yanked ads promoting Mega from its stations just days before the new site is scheduled to launch. Dotcom immediately blamed music industry pressure for Mediaworks’ decision and said on his Twitter account that “apparently some music labels complained to Mediaworks about our radio ads,” which allegedly resulted in the “booking of over 500 ad plays terminated.” Dotcom, who has long been in a legal spat with copyright holders in the entertainment industry, went on to say that “the music labels that are abusing their power, again.”
Kim Dotcom will not be denied. After facing a minor setback last week when the Gabonese government shut down its original domain name, Kim Dotcom’s new Mega website came back online this week and still looks primed for its grand launch on January 19th. Dotcom on Monday sent out a notice through Twitter that “New Zealand will be the home of our new website: http://Mega.co.nz,” which would be ”powered by legality and protected by the law.” Going to the website shows a giant red “MEGA” icon that promises to “change the world” on January 19th.
Kim Dotcom’s Megaupload sequel has hit another roadblock. The larger than life figure and alleged piracy kingpin previously announced that he was launching a new cloud-based file sharing service known as Mega in January. The website was expected to be hosted on the Gabon-based me.ga domain rather than a traditional .com, however the small West African nation has said it has suspended the domain, PHYS.org reported on Tuesday.
Kim Dotcom, the most interesting German-born man in New Zealand, is ready to give the entertainment industry a fresh round of heartburn. The mercurial Dotcom has announced that his new Mega file sharing site will go online in January and will offer far better protection for its users’ data than his ill-fated Megaupload site that was shut down by government officials earlier this year. As previously reported, the new site will use the Advanced Encryption Standard that encrypts and decrypts user data within their own browser. The new site will also not work with hosting companies in the United States to prevent the U.S. federal government from conducting further raids on the site.
Get a load of the cojones on HTC. Not content to let Nokia have all of the fun today over in Stuttgart, HTC has announced the Touch2. This little sucker will run Windows Mobile 6.5 with HTC’s very own TouchFLO overlay, and it will be one of the first smartphones to take advantage of all of those new fangled features that constitute a Windows Phone. For the time being, HTC is keeping mum with specs but we’ll be sure to let you know just as soon as they land in our inbox — even though we think we know full well what we’re dealing with. The HTC Mega, err, Touch2 will launch in unspecified markets on October 6th.
We can’t believe we’re about to type these words… But it looks like Samsung may have done an infinitely better job of skinning Windows Mobile 6.5 than HTC — at least out of the gate. Earlier this morning, a truckload of Samsung Omnia II screen captures were uncovered and, well, we’ll be damned if Samsung didn’t do a bang up job with its TouchWiz 2.0 UI on top of WinMo 6.5. Shortly thereafter, ai.rs blog followed up with a new render of the mid-range HTC Mega along with a handful of screenshots. The UI mask is looking good, and a little Sense UI-ish, but it doesn’t look anywhere near as thorough or sexified as Samsung’s efforts. Now to be fair, we know that the Mega is going to be part of HTC’s mid-range crop so we’ll have to wait and see how Windows Mobile 6.5 is looking on the company’s higher end handsets before reaching any real conclusions. Hit the jump for a few screenshots of the UI along with an updated list of reported specs.
Not that either handset will launch with the code names by which we now know them, we hope, but DigiTimes is reporting a Q4 launch for both the HTC Mega and HTC Click. Staying true to the strategy HTC CEO Peter Chou discussed earlier this month, both handsets will fall into the mid-range smartphone category and are expected to drop at around $300 a piece. The Mega is rumored to be a decently spec’d Windows Mobile 6.5 handset featuring a 2.8-inch QVGA (240×320) touchscreen display, a 3 megapixel camera, GPS and a 528 MHz processor. Specs for the Click are yet to be revealed, though we can likely expect plenty of similarities with the Mega, barring the Android OS of course. According to Merrill Lynch analyst Laura Chen, mid-range handsets like the Mega and Click will help HTC revenue grow 11 percent in Q4 2009 on the back of an anticipated 19 percent increase in handset shipments.