Kim Dotcom launched the successor to his shuttered Megaupload service this past Saturday and early adoption has been impressive. While speaking during a launch event for the new service, called simply “Mega,” Dotcom said that more than 1 million users joined the site in just one day, The Next Web reported. “We cannot be stopped,” Dotcom exclaimed, speaking directly to media rights holders that have targeted the alleged piracy kingpin. Mega is a file-sharing service similar to the original Megaupload site but it uses a complex encryption mechanism that prevents even Mega from knowing what files are hosted on its servers. Downloaded files can only be decrypted with a unique decryption key made available to the original file holder when a file is uploaded to the Mega site.
What a long, strange trip it’s been for Kim Dotcom. Last year at this time, he was arrested at his New Zealand mansion and his Megaupload file-sharing website was shut down due to accusations that it was a hub for Internet piracy. Throughout the year, authorities accused Dotcom of owning an Internet doomsday machine and of having the world’s most dangerous belly, among other questionable assertions. While all this was going on, however, Dotcom was planning to make an epic comeback with a new file-sharing website, simply dubbed Mega, that he vowed would have ironclad legal protection. More →
Kim Dotcom’s new Mega file-sharing site hasn’t even launched yet, but it’s already proving as controversial as his previous ventures. New Zealand’s TVNZ reports that radio station company Mediaworks has yanked ads promoting Mega from its stations just days before the new site is scheduled to launch. Dotcom immediately blamed music industry pressure for Mediaworks’ decision and said on his Twitter account that “apparently some music labels complained to Mediaworks about our radio ads,” which allegedly resulted in the “booking of over 500 ad plays terminated.” Dotcom, who has long been in a legal spat with copyright holders in the entertainment industry, went on to say that “the music labels that are abusing their power, again.”
Christmas is a time of peace on Earth, good will toward men, and Kim Dotcom. New Zealand’s 3 News reports that the Megaupload founder will make his stage debut in Auckland this week when he plays the role of “Santa Dotcom” in a satirical Christmas play called “MegaChristmas.” Dotcom, who will be joined by New Zealand Labour Party politician Jacinda Ardern and soap opera stars Kimberley Crossman and Mick Innes, apparently takes some shots at his many adversaries in the play, including New Zealand prime minister John Key. More →
Kim Dotcom may soon have his revenge. The New Zealand Herald reports that the Megaupload founder has been “cleared to pursue a case for damages against the police and the Government Communications Security Bureau in a judgment which has opened the Government’s handling of the criminal copyright case for its harshest criticism yet.” The latest ruling, handed down by New Zealand’s High Court at Auckland, comes just a little less than a year after government officials raided Dotcom’s mansion and shut down his hugely popular file-sharing website. A New Zealand judge earlier this year ruled that the Dotcom raid had been carried out illegally and said “that the police, in executing the warrants, have exceeded what they could lawfully be authorised to do.”
Kim Dotcom will not be denied. After facing a minor setback last week when the Gabonese government shut down its original domain name, Kim Dotcom’s new Mega website came back online this week and still looks primed for its grand launch on January 19th. Dotcom on Monday sent out a notice through Twitter that “New Zealand will be the home of our new website: http://Mega.co.nz,” which would be “powered by legality and protected by the law.” Going to the website shows a giant red “MEGA” icon that promises to “change the world” on January 19th.
Kim Dotcom’s Megaupload sequel has hit another roadblock. The larger than life figure and alleged piracy kingpin previously announced that he was launching a new cloud-based file sharing service known as Mega in January. The website was expected to be hosted on the Gabon-based me.ga domain rather than a traditional .com, however the small West African nation has said it has suspended the domain, PHYS.org reported on Tuesday.
Kim Dotcom wants to give New Zealand free Internet by suing the pants off of US government, Hollywood
Everyone would love to have free high-speed Internet service, but the question always is who will actually pay for it? If you’re Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom, the answer is Hollywood and the United States government. As the New Zealand Herald reports, Dotcom has plans to build out a $400 million underwater cable to the United States that would “double New Zealand’s bandwidth” and would give New Zealand ISPs free access to high-speed Internet connectivity that they could sell to their customers at just a fraction of current broadband prices. To help fund the project, the NZ Herald says Dotcom would consider “suing Hollywood studios and the US Government for their ‘unlawful and political destruction of my business.'” In addition to using lawsuits, Dotcom would also put up some money generated by his new Mega website to help foot the bill.
Kim Dotcom, the most interesting German-born man in New Zealand, is ready to give the entertainment industry a fresh round of heartburn. The mercurial Dotcom has announced that his new Mega file sharing site will go online in January and will offer far better protection for its users’ data than his ill-fated Megaupload site that was shut down by government officials earlier this year. As previously reported, the new site will use the Advanced Encryption Standard that encrypts and decrypts user data within their own browser. The new site will also not work with hosting companies in the United States to prevent the U.S. federal government from conducting further raids on the site.
Alleged online piracy kingpin/alleged musician Kim Dotcom is back in business. The controversial and larger than life figure who was arrested and charged with racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering earlier this year has announced the launch of a brand new version of Megaupload. In typical fashion, Dotcom will launch the website a year after his police raided his mansion on January 20th. The founder previously vowed his Megaupload service would return as a massive global peer-to-peer network that, as he claims, will “turn this world upside down.” The new site will feature enhanced security measures to ensure the government cannot shutdown the service again, such as an “Advanced Encryption Standard algorithm.” Dotcom also revealed that he has been working with lawyers, developers, designers, investors and partners in an effort to create the “ultimate” service.
It’s not just the Pirate Bay that’s upping its game to thwart the copyright cops — Kim Dotcom and his Megaupload team are working on a few new tricks as well. Wired recently caught up with both Dotcom and business partner Mathias Ortmann to discuss how they’ll keep the revamped version of Megaupload, which will launch as “Mega” within the next few months, safe from government raids and copyright infringement claims. The key, according to Wired, is that all files uploaded to and shared on Mega “will first be one-click-encrypted right in a client’s browser, using the so-called Advanced Encryption Standard algorithm” after which the user is “provided with a second unique key for that file’s decryption.”
Imagine how embarrassed President Barack Obama would feel if he had to issue a formal apology to Snooki. Well, something very similar has happened in New Zealand, as the The Wall Street Journal reports that Prime Minister John Key has apologized to Megaupload founder and tabloid magnet Kim Dotcom for government security officials who illegally spied on his communications without first obtaining a warrant. The apology to Dotcom comes in the wake of a report released by New Zealand’s inspector-general of intelligence and security earlier this week that admitted the government conducted “unlawful interception of communications of certain individuals involved in the Megaupload case.” More →
Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has put out a new video teasing his new project dubbed Megabox, which is purportedly legal. The video mostly shows coders building and doing tests on the new music download site and gives a glimpse of what Megabox’s user interface will look like. No launch date was announced but the video does say that the site is “coming soon” and will give users access to their music collections “anywhere and anytime.” Dotcom earlier this month said that he was working with his lawyers to make sure that the new Megabox site had ironclad legal protection and would be free of the legal controversies that dogged its predecessor. More →