Despite significant victories by the United States, accused piracy kingpin Kim Dotcom claims he will never be locked up in the United States. The founder of file-sharing service Mega, and formerly Megaupload, appeared at the South By Southwest conference in Austin this week by way of Skype to talk about his ongoing legal battles with the U.S. government, TorrentFreak reported. Dotcom said that he is confident about his upcoming trial and noted that serving jail-time in the U.S. is not going to happen. More →
It looks like the entertainment industry may have gotten its money’s worth after law enforcement officials shut down Kim Dotcom’s Megaupload last year. The Wall Street Journal reports that movie sales increased significantly after Megaupload went offline, according to new study conducted by Wellesley College assistant professor of economics Brett Danaher and Carnegie Mellon University professor Michael D. Smith. The two researchers say that “shutting down Megaupload and Megavideo caused some customers to shift from cyberlocker-based piracy to purchasing or renting through legal digital channels,” contradicting earlier studies that suggested shutting down the site did little to lessen online piracy. More →
Kim Dotcom could be packing his bags and heading to a U.S. courtroom in the near future. The accused Internet piracy king has been fighting an extradition motion seeking to move him from New Zealand to the United States to face trial. New Zealand’s Court of Appeal on Friday overturned an earlier decision that required U.S. authorities to hand over evidence it planned to use in the high-profile extradition trial set to take place in August, The Wall Street Journal reported. Authorities will now only be required to provide the defense with a summary of the evidence it intends to use. Dotcom has vowed to fight the ruling, stating that he will appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of New Zealand.
Kim Dotcom has never been shy about tooting his own horn, and this week he boasted on his Twitter account that his new Mega file-sharing website now has more than 3 million users. It has also hosted more than 125 million files ever since coming online just a month ago. Dotcom said that Mega’s encryption remains “unbroken,” that “most” of its bugs had been fixed, and that the website will soon launch a mobile app and a sync client. The last year has been a long, strange trip for Dotcom, who has been engaged in a legal battle with law enforcement officials who shut down his original Megaupload file-sharing site in early 2012. Throughout the year, authorities also accused Dotcom of owning an Internet doomsday machine and of having the world’s most dangerous belly, among other questionable assertions.
Kim Dotcom made his triumphant comeback last week, but that doesn’t mean he’s toning down his accusations against the Obama administration and its connections to the 2012 raid on his mansion that led to his arrest. In an interview with RT, the Mega founder said it was no coincidence that the American government directed the raid of his mansion just as the campaign season was rolling around last year. What’s more, Dotcom accused the Obama administration of using his arrest as a major fundraising chip to raise campaign cash for the president’s reelection campaign. More →
Kim Dotcom isn’t the world’s most likely celebrity — a German born New Zealander who had been best known for running a website called Megaupload that was used primarily by people looking to share large files with one another and that wasn’t on the radar of the average Internet user. But as ZDNet’s Jack Schofield notes, the American government’s heavy-handedness, along with Dotcom’s own keen media savvy, have both conspired to make Dotcom into a media sensation who has now attracted more than 1 million users to his new Mega website in just one day. More →
Kim Dotcom launched the successor to his shuttered Megaupload service this past Saturday and early adoption has been impressive. While speaking during a launch event for the new service, called simply “Mega,” Dotcom said that more than 1 million users joined the site in just one day, The Next Web reported. “We cannot be stopped,” Dotcom exclaimed, speaking directly to media rights holders that have targeted the alleged piracy kingpin. Mega is a file-sharing service similar to the original Megaupload site but it uses a complex encryption mechanism that prevents even Mega from knowing what files are hosted on its servers. Downloaded files can only be decrypted with a unique decryption key made available to the original file holder when a file is uploaded to the Mega site.
What a long, strange trip it’s been for Kim Dotcom. Last year at this time, he was arrested at his New Zealand mansion and his Megaupload file-sharing website was shut down due to accusations that it was a hub for Internet piracy. Throughout the year, authorities accused Dotcom of owning an Internet doomsday machine and of having the world’s most dangerous belly, among other questionable assertions. While all this was going on, however, Dotcom was planning to make an epic comeback with a new file-sharing website, simply dubbed Mega, that he vowed would have ironclad legal protection. More →
Kim Dotcom’s new Mega file-sharing site hasn’t even launched yet, but it’s already proving as controversial as his previous ventures. New Zealand’s TVNZ reports that radio station company Mediaworks has yanked ads promoting Mega from its stations just days before the new site is scheduled to launch. Dotcom immediately blamed music industry pressure for Mediaworks’ decision and said on his Twitter account that “apparently some music labels complained to Mediaworks about our radio ads,” which allegedly resulted in the “booking of over 500 ad plays terminated.” Dotcom, who has long been in a legal spat with copyright holders in the entertainment industry, went on to say that “the music labels that are abusing their power, again.”
Christmas is a time of peace on Earth, good will toward men, and Kim Dotcom. New Zealand’s 3 News reports that the Megaupload founder will make his stage debut in Auckland this week when he plays the role of “Santa Dotcom” in a satirical Christmas play called “MegaChristmas.” Dotcom, who will be joined by New Zealand Labour Party politician Jacinda Ardern and soap opera stars Kimberley Crossman and Mick Innes, apparently takes some shots at his many adversaries in the play, including New Zealand prime minister John Key. More →
Kim Dotcom may soon have his revenge. The New Zealand Herald reports that the Megaupload founder has been “cleared to pursue a case for damages against the police and the Government Communications Security Bureau in a judgment which has opened the Government’s handling of the criminal copyright case for its harshest criticism yet.” The latest ruling, handed down by New Zealand’s High Court at Auckland, comes just a little less than a year after government officials raided Dotcom’s mansion and shut down his hugely popular file-sharing website. A New Zealand judge earlier this year ruled that the Dotcom raid had been carried out illegally and said “that the police, in executing the warrants, have exceeded what they could lawfully be authorised to do.”
Kim Dotcom will not be denied. After facing a minor setback last week when the Gabonese government shut down its original domain name, Kim Dotcom’s new Mega website came back online this week and still looks primed for its grand launch on January 19th. Dotcom on Monday sent out a notice through Twitter that “New Zealand will be the home of our new website: http://Mega.co.nz,” which would be ”powered by legality and protected by the law.” Going to the website shows a giant red “MEGA” icon that promises to “change the world” on January 19th.
Kim Dotcom’s Megaupload sequel has hit another roadblock. The larger than life figure and alleged piracy kingpin previously announced that he was launching a new cloud-based file sharing service known as Mega in January. The website was expected to be hosted on the Gabon-based me.ga domain rather than a traditional .com, however the small West African nation has said it has suspended the domain, PHYS.org reported on Tuesday.