Megaupload user data purge could begin Thursday [updated]

By on January 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM.

Megaupload user data purge could begin Thursday [updated]

Third-party companies that stored Megaupload’s data may delete all user files on Thursday. Megaupload customers, even those not guilty of piracy or using the service illegally, have been unable to access their files since the website was shut down on January 19th. So far, seven men have been charged for illegally allowing Megaupload users to store and share music, movies and other copyrighted content, among other things. The issue, however, is that millions of Megaupload users used the service legally to store family photos and other personal data. Megaupload doesn’t store the data itself, the AP said Monday, instead it hired Carpathia Hosting and Cogent Communications Group to store its data. A letter from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia explained that both companies may begin deleting the data as soon as this Thursday. 50 million users could have their personal photos, videos and music erased; Megaupload attorney Ira Rothken said the company is currently speaking with prosecutors in an effort to save the data.

UPDATE: Megaupload lawyer Ira Rothke on Monday confirmed that Megaupload’s hosting companies have agreed not to delete user files for two weeks, TVNZ reports. “Carpathia and Cogent agreed to preserve consumer data for additional time of at least two weeks so Megaupload can work with US on proposal,” Rothke posted on Twitter.

More →

No Comments

GetJar fears competition, ousts Opera Mini from its app store

By on March 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM.

GetJar fears competition, ousts Opera Mini from its app store

The Opera Mini browser no longer has a home in GetJar’s app store. Following Opera’s announcement on Tuesday that it will now offer an app store accessible through its mobile browser software on Android, BlackBerry, Symbian and Java-enabled handsets, GetJar has pulled Opera’s Opera Mini mobile Web browser from its catalog. In a strikingly candid note to users, GetJar’s chief marketing officer Patrick Mork cites a fear of competition as the cause for the removal. “The simple problem is that Opera mini decided to include a competing app store in its browser,” Mork wrote in a note to GetJar users. “Although we don’t have any issue with this in principle, in practice it means that consumers might start using this app store instead of visiting GetJar to get their favourite apps. This robs GetJar of traffic and therefore of the advertising necessary to keep our service free for the more than 25 million consumers that use GetJar. It also jeopardizes an ecosystem that has generated over 1.6 billion downloads for tens of thousands of developers who depend on us to make money from their apps.” Opera Mini was one the most popular apps in GetJar’s catalog. Hit the break for the full letter. More →

14 Comments