Samsung has been ordered by a federal judge to grant Apple access to a number of unreleased tablets and smartphones as part of an ongoing patent dispute. Apple filed a lawsuit against Samsung last month, accusing the Korean consumer electronics giant of infringing on a variety of Apple patents and trademarks. “Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple’s technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products,” Apple said in a court filing. Last week, a judge gave Samsung 30 days to deliver five of its forthcoming devices — the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Infuse 4G, and DROID Charge — to Apple so the Cupertino-based company can determine whether or not it wishes to request an early injunction. “Apple has demonstrated good cause for some, limited expedited discovery,” said San Jose federal judge Lucy Koh. “While Apple has not yet filed a motion for preliminary injunction, courts have found that expedited discovery may be justified to allow a plaintiff to determine whether to seek an early injunction.” Samsung argued that the devices have not yet been released so granting Apple access to them would be inappropriate, but Koh dismissed the arguments, citing the fact that Samsung is already advertising the devices and giving samples to members of the press. More →
Atlanta, Georgia based law firm Holzer Holzer & Fistel, LLC announced on Monday that it has launched an investigation into possible federal securities law violations made by cell phone maker Research In Motion. The firm claims that its investigation will focus on whether a series of statements made between December 2010 and April 2011 were intentionally false and misleading. The statements in question dealt with problems associated with RIM’s aging product line that were negatively impacting the company’s business, the firm said in a press release. In March of this year, Holzer Holzer & Fistel, LLC launched a similar investigation into Palm surrounding statements the company made before it was acquired by HP.
According to Bloomberg, a staff lawyer with the United States International Trade Commission (U.S. ITC) named Erin Joffre has recommended, on behalf of the public, that the ITC side with HTC and Nokia in a patent battle with Apple. HTC and Nokia have been locked in back-and-forth legal battles with Apple over the past two years, but this suit is particularly important. Apple filed the complaint on March 2nd, 2010 when it alleged that HTC was infringing on 20 of its patents related to both hardware and software technologies. The Cupertino based firm has urged the U.S. ITC to ban HTC’s Android smartphones from being imported into the United States, and it wants several of Nokia’s devices to be stopped at the border, too. In order for such a ban to take place, Administrative Law Judge Carl Charneski would have to side with Apple, and then suggest to another board that such an action be taken. Charneski will render his decision on August 5th. More →
The evolution of Nokia’s business over the years has been nothing short of remarkable; from rubber boots and tires to cell phones, and now to patent infringement claims. Ok, perhaps Nokia’s transition from cell phone maker to legal beagle is still in its infancy, but newly filed complaints against Apple in the U.K., Germany and the Netherlands will certainly help the company transition to its new business model. The 13 new complaints are in addition to 24 allegedly infringed patents Nokia is already suing Apple for in the U.S. — Apple might have more apps in the App Store than Nokia has in the Ovi Store, but Nokia has way more patent infringement claims. Hit the break for Nokia’s press release, and we can all look forward to revisiting this fascinating topic when Apple inevitably adds new claims onto its current complaint against Nokia. Hey, lawyers have to eat too, right? More →
The Globe and Mail is reporting that Canadian wireless carrier Rogers may face a $10 million fine for misleading advertising claims made against its competitors. The Canadian Competition Bureau is looking to levy the penalty for Rogers’ assertion that its pre-paid wireless arm — Chatr Wireless — has “fewer dropped calls than new wireless carriers” such as Wind Mobile. The Competition Bureau reports that there was “no discernible difference in dropped call rates between Rogers/Chatr and new entrants.” According to the report, the Bureau is asking Ontario’s superior court to order Rogers Wireless to pay the $10 million fine and issue a letter of retraction.
We do wonder what the Canadian Competition Bureau would think about AT&T’s fastest 3G network, Verizon’s most reliable 3G network, T-Mobile’s largest 4G network, and Sprint’s now network claims. More →