Cable companies want to keep modem rental fees a secret since it’s basically free money for them, but we refuse to play along. Unless you purchase your own cable modem, you have to pay a monthly fee forever to use the modem from your ISP. That’s right, forever. Imagine leasing a car but just having to pay the same amount every single month indefinitely. It’s ridiculous, and we’re putting a stop to it right now. The NETGEAR CM400 (8×4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem works with every major cable-based ISP such as Comcast, Time Warner Cable/Spectrum, Cox, and plenty more. It supports download speeds up to 343Mbps which is likely faster than your home internet service, and it’ll save you between $8 and $10 per month as soon as you activate it and return your old rented modem.
Speaking of saving, the modem costs $44.99 on Amazon but you’ll also find a $5 coupon right on the page, dropping the price to just $39.99.
Here are some highlights from the product page:
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 100 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi.
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 up to 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- ELIMINTE MONTHLY CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES – Up to $120 per year
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink. Not compatible with bundled voice services
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals we find around the web.
BGR Deals content is independent of Editorial and Advertising, and BGR may receive a commission on purchases made through our posts.