We saw the first rumored Galaxy S8 picture surface earlier on Thursday, and now it’s time to look at the first rumored release date for the hotly anticipated handset. A comprehensive report out of Korea says that Samsung has settled on April 18th for the launch of its next-generation flagship phone.

News site Naver has it from sources familiar with the matter that Samsung’s Galaxy S8 production schedule indicates an April launch, with April 18th being the first date thrown around. Things may change before then, but the report seems to make it clear that a February launch isn’t in the cards for the phone.

This is the second report that says Samsung abandoned its original plan to unveil the Galaxy S8 in Barcelona, Spain, at MWC 2017. Naver says there are a few reasons for the decision, including the unexpected Galaxy Note 7 debacle, but also the major design changes planned for the Galaxy S8. The phone could be unveiled during a special Unpacked event planned for late March or early April, roughly two weeks before the phone’s in-store launch.

Naver says the phone will have an almost all-screen face, with the screen-to-bezel ratio expected to surpass 90%. The home button is integrated into the display, while the fingerprint sensor is relocated to the back of the phone, the report says. The bigger display is singled out as the component that’s the most difficult to assemble and may be partially responsible for delays.

The phone should be the same size as the Galaxy S7, but it won’t feature a dual-lens camera, which apparently won’t fit — the report doesn’t say anything about the existence of a second “Plus” version of the device, however. Naver says the 3.5mm headphone jack will still be included on the phone, and that the Galaxy S8 will have an iris sensor on the front, as well as support for Viv’s Bixby voice assistant.

View Comments