“Buy one get one” sales at carriers are very common. They’re great for promoting sales of smartphones as they grow a bit long in the tooth, or in the event that sales start to slow. For example, AT&T is currently offering a BOGO sale on the iPhone 6, which launched last September and, according to a number of estimates, is in the midst of a quicker-than-normal slowdown.
What isn’t nearly as common, however, is seeing a carrier offer a flagship smartphone for free when it hasn’t even launched yet.
AT&T this week announced that new and existing AT&T subscribers are eligible to receive a free Samsung Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge. While some of Samsung’s carrier and retail partners have already begun to ship phones to early buyers, the S7 and S7 edge don’t even officially launch until this Friday, March 11th.
The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge BOGO offer applies to new and existing AT&T customers who purchase one handset and using an AT&T Next plan and also add a new line on which the second free flagship phone will be activated.
“There’s never been a better time to switch to AT&T,” said AT&T Mobility CEO Glenn Lurie. “You can get this buy-one, get-one offer and also get up to $650 in credits per line to help you switch to AT&T when you trade in your current smartphones and buy new ones on AT&T Next. Plus, you can get unlimited data if you have DIRECTV or Uverse2. These deals are incredible.”
Here are the terms, according to a post on AT&T’s blog:
- Available to new and existing customers
- Both phones must be purchased on AT&T Next, our popular installment plan, as follows:
- The first phone can be a new line or an upgrade.
- The second phone must be a new line and purchased on AT&T Next 24.
- Add both phones to a qualified plan, like Mobile Share Value, for as low as $70 a month for two phones.
- After three bill cycles or less, you will start to receive up to $695 spread out over 30 monthly bill credits.
- Just pay tax on both phones at sale.
- After $695 in credits a Galaxy S7 will be free or the credits may be applied towards the purchase of an S7 edge.
Also of note, customers who already preordered Galaxy S7 or S7 edge handsets under circumstances that comply with the terms of this deal will be credited for the second phone.
UPDATE: T-Mobile just announced a Galaxy S7 BOGO deal as well. Details can be found here.