Remember that heartwarming Budweiser commercial from last year’s Super Bowl that people couldn’t stop talking about for what seemed like ages? It wasn’t even shared half as much as the No. 1 most shared Super Bowl ad of all time. Advertising and analytics firm Unruly used its software to dig deep into social media in order to determine the 10 most shared Super Bowl commercials of all time. After all, the Super Bowl is as much about television commercials as it is about football each year.
Unruly’s list certainly has some surprises on it and it’s clearly missing some of the most well-known Super Bowl ads of all time like Budweiser’s first “Wassaaaaap” commercial, but the results are obviously skewed toward more recent ads. Why? Because we’re talking about the most shared commercials here, and sharing on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter has skyrocketed over the past few years.
The top 10 list can be found below in reverse order along with the year each ad first aired. And here’s a small suggestion for advertisers planning to spend big bucks on Super Bowl spots this year: Puppies.
10. Volkswagen: The Bark Side: shared 900,000 times (2012)
9. Fast and Furious 7 trailer: shared 1.31 million times (2015)
8. Chevrolet: Needing/Getting: shared 1.34 million times (2012)
7. Fast & Furious 6 trailer: shared 1.5 million times (2013)
6. Ram Trucks: Farmer: shared 1.9 million times (2013)
5. Budweiser: Puppy Love: shared 2 million times (2014)
4. Budweiser: Lost Dog: shared 2.5 million times (2015)
3. Budweiser: Brotherhood: shared 2.9 million times (2013)
2. Budweiser: 9/11: shared 3.5 million times (2002)
1. Volkswagen: The Force: shared 5.3 million times (2012)