Strategy Analytics: 85% of phones shipped last quarter run Android

Android vs iOS vs Windows Phone vs BlackBerry

Strategy Analytics already has smartphone sales numbers for the second quarter of 2014, with the company revealing that Android gained even more market share during the period, at the expense of all its competitors.

Global smartphone shipments for Q2 2014 reached 295.2 million units, 27% more than the same period last year when 233.0 million units were shipped. Of those, 84.6% (249.6 million) were Android smartphones, up from 80.2% during Q2 2013.

“Like the PC market, Android is on the verge of turning smartphone platforms into a one-horse race,” Strategy Analytics Executive Director Neil Mawston said. “Its low-cost services and user-friendly software remain wildly attractive to hardware makers, operators and consumers worldwide. Rival OS vendors are going to have to do something revolutionary to overturn Android’s huge lead in smartphone shipments. Apple’s push into the big-screen phablet market and Firefox’s expansion into the ultra-low-cost smartphone market later this year are the only major threats to Android’s continued growth at this stage.”

Apple’s iPhone sales during the April-June 2014 quarter amounted to 35.2 million, or 11.9% of total shipments, a 1.5% drop compared to the same time last year when it shipped 31.2 million iOS handsets (13.4% share).

Similarly, Microsoft, Blackberry and others also lost market share last quarter. Windows Phone handsets amounted to 2.7% of sales (8 million units), a 1.1% share drop, while BlackBerry only sold 1.9 million in the quarter ending in June 2014 (0.6% share) down 1.8% share since last year, when it moved 5.7 million handsets that amounted to 2.4% of the market.

A table showing smartphone sales by platform and the full press release follow below.

strategy-analytics-q2-2014-smartphone-sales-1

Strategy Analytics: Android Captures Record 85 Percent Share of Global Smartphone Shipments in Q2 2014

Boston, MA – July 30, 2014 – According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, global smartphone shipments reached 295 million units in the second quarter of 2014. The Android operating system captured a new record of 85 percent global marketshare, mainly at the expense of BlackBerry, Apple iOS and Microsoft Windows Phone.

Linda Sui, Director at Strategy Analytics, said, “Global smartphone shipments grew 27 percent annually from 233.0 million units in Q2 2013 to 295.2 million in Q2 2014. We estimate worldwide smartphone growth has halved during the past year, from 49 percent a year ago to 27 percent today. Global smartphone growth in the current quarter is at its lowest level for five years, and there are wide variations by region. For example, Africa and Asia are booming, while North America and Europe are maturing.”

Woody Oh, Director at Strategy Analytics, added, “Android’s domination of global smartphone shipments reached a new peak in Q2 2014, with an impressive 85 percent of all smartphones now running Google’s OS. Android’s gain came at the expense of every major rival platform. BlackBerry saw its global smartphone share tumble from 2 percent to 1 percent in the past year due to a weak line-up of BB10 devices. Apple iOS lost one point of share to Android because of its limited presence at the lower end of the smartphone market. Microsoft Windows Phone continued to struggle in the United States and China, and its global smartphone marketshare fell from 4 percent in Q2 2013 to just 3 percent during Q2 2014.”

Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics, added, “Like the PC market, Android is on the verge of turning smartphone platforms into a one-horse race. Its low-cost services and user-friendly software remain wildly attractive to hardware makers, operators and consumers worldwide. Rival OS vendors are going to have to do something revolutionary to overturn Android’s huge lead in smartphone shipments. Apple’s push into the big-screen phablet market and Firefox’s expansion into the ultra-low-cost smartphone market later this year are the only major threats to Android’s continued growth at this stage.”

blog comments powered by Disqus