Nokia exec: In patent wars, Google-Motorola deal won’t help Android at all

Another patent expert weighed in on Google’s proposed $12.5 billion Motorola Mobility acquisition on Friday, and once again the deal is not seen as having the potential to stave off the flood of lawsuits targeting Android partners. In an interview with Finnish-language business magazine Talouselama published on Friday, Nokia’s chief of patent licensing Paul Melin went on record in stating that the potential deal will do precious little to help Google defend its mobile operating system against the likes of Apple and Microsoft. “There are tens of patent lawsuits ongoing against Android. As we have understood, acquiring Motorola won’t solve one of them,” Melin told the magazine. Earlier this week, patent expert David Martin of patent consulting firm M-Cam called the deal an immense mistake. “What they bought is crap, because at the end of the day Motorola sold off its good assets,” Martin said in an interview.

Read

blog comments powered by Disqus