Sprint’s senior vice president of government affairs Vonya B. McCann issued the following statement in response to the Department of Justice’s attempt to block AT&T’s planned $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile USA:
The DOJ today delivered a decisive victory for consumers, competition and our country. By filing suit to block AT&T’s proposed takeover of T-Mobile, the DOJ has put consumers’ interests first. Sprint applauds the DOJ for conducting a careful and thorough review and for reaching a just decision – one which will ensure that consumers continue to reap the benefits of a competitive U.S. wireless industry. Contrary to AT&T’s assertions, today’s action will preserve American jobs, strengthen the American economy, and encourage innovation.
AT&T responded to the DOJ earlier on Wednesday noting it will ask for an expedited hearing, and said “the facts will prevail in court.” FCC Chairman Julius also said the FCC has ‘serious concerns‘ about the impact of the merger.