HP and AT&T on Wednesday announced that the latest webOS smartphone, the HP Veer 4G, will become available later this month as an AT&T exclusive. HP unveiled the bite-sized Veer webOS phone at a press event back in February, and at that time we thought the device was a tad too small for our liking. The Veer features solid specs, a crisp, bright touchscreen and a solid build, however, so petite AT&T subscribers seeking a sleek new smartphone should definitely check it out. The HP Veer 4G will cost $99.99 on contract in either black or white when it launches from AT&T on May 15th. Hit the break for the full press release.
AT&T Goes Small With HP Veer 4G
Exclusive Smartphone for AT&T Customers Available May 15, Packs a Big Experience into a Powerfully Small Design
Dallas, Texas, May 04, 2011
- The new HP Veer 4G*, the size of a credit card and no thicker than a deck of cards, will be the smallest full-featured HP webOS smartphone to date and AT&T’s** first to run the latest version of webOS software.
- Perfect for feature phone or quick messaging phone users looking for all of the features and capabilities of a smartphone without compromising on size and style.
- Exclusive in the U.S. for AT&T customers, HP Veer 4G is available in black and white.
- HP Veer 4G will be available from AT&T at company-owned stores and online at http://www.att.com/ on May 15 and will cost $99.99 with a two-year contract.
AT&T is a pioneer in smartphones and devices, and expects to widen its portfolio in 2011. In January, AT&T committed to introducing 20 4G devices by the end of the year. Available exclusively to AT&T customers, HP Veer 4G will be one of several 4G devices offered in the first half of 2011.
With the HP Veer 4G, AT&T customers can have it all – access to the web, apps, social networks and more, all in one powerfully small design. For those who value size, pocketability and style, Veer offers a refreshing alternative to the larger smartphone devices that are currently in the market, without compromising on functionality.
Powered by HP webOS, Veer offers an advanced browser and an incredibly fast processor for a fantastic web experience including Adobe Flash support, plus 8GB of internal user storage and a full keyboard that slides out for fast texting and email. Notifications instantly display messages, reminders, and Facebook® updates on a vivid 2.6-inch touchscreen, with instant messages, texts and pictures from the same person available all in one view.
HP Veer 4G comes preloaded with several popular apps including mobile hotspot and AT&T Navigator. The mobile hotspot functionality*** allows users to share wireless internet connectivity with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices while AT&T Navigator**** a GPS-enabled navigation service, is designed to provide you with clear and precise audible and visual turn-by-turn driving directions, including full-color moving maps, using GPS directly from your wireless phone.
In addition, thousands of apps are available at your fingertips in the redesigned webOS App Catalog – social networking, health and fitness, productivity, finance, games—you name it. With Veer, customers are able to keep multiple apps open at once and easily switch back and forth between them. Purchasing apps is now even easier with the addition of carrier billing. Customers can now buy apps on their phone and have it added to their monthly bill with just a tap.
If you need a little help finding your way or locating cool things to do around you, Veer also boasts built-in GPS.
- HP webOS 2.1
- 3.63 ounces
- Tri-band UMTS: 850/1900/2100; HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6
- Quad-band GSM/EDGE
- 800Mhz processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7230)
- 2.6-inch multitouch display screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 320×400 resolution
- Slide-out physical QWERTY keyboard
- Email and integrated IM, SMS and MMS
- Facebook integration, YouTube
- Wi-Fi/aGPS capable
- 5-megapixel camera with extended depth of field, geotagging, and video capture
- Stereo Bluetooth (2.1)
- 8GB internal storage(~6.1GB available)
- 910 mAh battery; up to 5.0 hours of talk time or up to 300 hours of standby time.
- webOS WebKit browser with Flash support
- HP Touchstone compatible (sold separately)
To learn more about the HP Veer 4G, visit www.att.com/mobilephones-news.