According to The Wall Street Journal, AT&T will be releasing its flagship Android device — the Motorola ATRIX 4G — on March 6th, with pre-orders beginning on February 13th. The company directly cites AT&T as the source of its information and goes on to note that the device will retail for $199.99 on-contract (just north of the $149.99 we had hoped for). The report also states that Ma’ Bell will be bundling the handset with that snazzy laptop-dock for $499.99; the laptop will sell for $499.99 if purchased separately. There you have it. AT&T’s first, legitimate flagship Android device. Now… who’s buying one?
UPDATE: AT&T has made the pricing official; the full press release is after the jump.
AT&T Announces the World’s Most Powerful Smartphone, the Motorola ATRIX 4G, Will Be Available for Preorder on Feb. 13
Unique line of Accessories, Including the Motorola Laptop Dock, Available with Bundled Pricing
- AT&T* begins pre-sales for Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on Feb. 13
- Motorola ATRIX 4G, powered by the Android 2.2 platform, available exclusively for AT&T customers for $199.99 with a two-year service agreement.
- Motorola ATRIX 4G is expected to be available from AT&T and select retail channels for customers by March 6 or earlier.
- AT&T will offer bundled pricing for the Motorola ATRIX 4G and the Motorola Laptop Dock.
AT&T is the leader in smartphones, and expects to widen that lead in 2011. In January, AT&T committed to an industry-leading Android portfolio in the U.S. in 2011 and said it plans to offer two 4G smartphones in the first quarter. An industry first, the Motorola ATRIX 4G is the leading edge of more than 20 advanced, 4G devices AT&T plans to deliver in 2011. AT&T has completed the deployment of HSPA+ to virtually 100 percent of its mobile broadband network, which enables 4G speeds when combined with enhanced backhaul.
Motorola ATRIX™ 4G
The Motorola ATRIX™ 4G Android 2.2 smartphone will be offered exclusively by AT&T and is the world’s most powerful smartphone. Featuring a 2×1 GHz dual-core processor for a total of 2 GHz of processing power, a unique webtop application, the world’s first qHD display, and Adobe flash player, the, ATRIX 4G delivers a remarkable combination of application processing power with 4G speed capability and a high-resolution qHD display, a first for the industry.
It will be complemented by breakthrough accessories that include a revolutionary, super-thin Motorola Laptop Dock — for which ATRIX 4G is the “engine” — and the Motorola HD Multimedia Dock that uses ATRIX 4G’s HDMI video output capabilities and processing power to enable a revolutionary browsing, application and media experience.
AT&T will offer two special packages for customers who choose to purchase ATRIX 4G in addition to these unique accessories. The first combines ATRIX 4G and the Motorola Laptop Dock for a promotional price of $499.99 after a two-year service contract and $100 mail-in-rebate after subscription to Data Pro smartphone data plan and tethering add on. Customers who choose to purchase the Motorola Laptop Dock separately pay $499.99. AT&T is also offering an Entertainment Access Kit for ATRIX customers which includes the Motorola HD Multimedia Dock, a Bluetooth® keyboard and mouse, and a remote control for $189.99.
Motorola ATRIX 4G will also include AT&T Mobile Hotspot service built into the smartphone, allowing users to connect additional Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
AT&T U-verse® TV customers will be able to manage their DVR recordings – and U-verse customers with a qualifying TV plan can download and watch hit TV shows – right from their ATRIX 4G handset using the U-verse Mobile application. In addition, any ATRIX 4G user, whether or not they have U-verse TV at home, can still enjoy a variety of video options – including live TV – with the new U-verse Live TV application, preloaded and available for $9.99 a month.
“Motorola ATRIX 4G stole the show at the Consumer Electronics Show in January and we’re delivering ATRIX 4G and its truly innovative line of accessories for our customers very soon,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “Any smartphone customer looking for the most powerful and innovative solution on the market has to consider the ATRIX 4G.”
“Today consumers use their smartphones to stay constantly connected to the information that matters to them most. The Motorola ATRIX 4G along with our webtop application and innovative docks enable a truly mobile computing experience never before possible on a smartphone,” said Alain Mutricy, senior vice president, portfolio and product device management, Motorola Mobility.
1. Mobile broadband coverage is not available in all areas. 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Will be available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. Learn more at att.com/network.
2. Motorola ATRIX 4G: Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month. Two-year voice agreement required. Qualified customers only. Motorola ATRIX 4G is configured to work only with the wireless services provided by AT&T. Early termination fee of up to $325. Price of ATRIX 4G and Motorola Laptop Dock package is before $100 mail-in-rebate AT&T Promotion card & with 2-yr DataConnect agreement is $599.99. Allow 60 days for fulfillment. Card valid for 120 days wherever major credit cards accepted. May be used to pay wireless bill. Not redeemable for cash & cannot be used at ATMs or gas pumps. Card request must be postmarked by 4/20/11. Must be a customer for 30 consecutive days to receive Card. Some restrictions & other charges apply. See terms at store or att.com/wirelessrebate.
3. Laptop Dock – Firefox browser use with AT&T Mobile Broadband requires Tethering Plan.
4. Mobile Hotspots and Tethered devices require at a minimum a DataPro Tethering Plan. Devices connected to a Mobile Hotspot or tethered to the ATRIX 4G use data from your DataPro Tethering Plan. Tethering Plans are not unlimited and significant charges may be incurred if the included data allowance is exceeded. Performance may vary depending on the number of devices connected and other factors.
5. Geographic and service restrictions apply to AT&T U-verse services. Call or go to http://www.att.com/u-verse to see if you qualify. Download and watch capability available for select content and requires select devices, Wi-Fi connection, and qualifying U-verse TV plan or monthly subscription fee. Standard data charges may apply. AT&T U-verse Live TV requires compatible device, eligible data plan, and mobile broadband service. Service not available in all areas. Programming subject to blackout restrictions. Data rates apply.
6. Price established by AT&T for AT&T-owned retail outlets. Prices may vary at independent retailers.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.