The much anticipated Apple press conference has just concluded. Here is — in bullet form — what we just learned:
- The iPhone 4 death grip signal degradation thingy happens to a lot of smartphones. Apple demonstrated it on a BlackBerry 9700, Samsung Omnia 2, and HTC DROID Eris.
- The software update (4.0.1) released yesterday will take care of the error in the signal calculation algorithm that Apple discovered several weeks ago.
- Another software update to address other issues (like the proximity sensor thing) is due “soon.”
- Until September 30th, Apple will be giving iPhone 4 purchasers/owners a free bumper or case (depending on supply). A website with details will go live next week.
- Users who already purchased a bumper will be eligible for a refund. You had to have purchased an Apple bumper, not a third-party case.
- The return rate on the iPhone 3GS at AT&T stores was 6%, the return rate of the iPhone 4 is 1.7%.
- The white iPhone 4 will be out sometime later the month.
- Apple has sold over 3 million iPhone 4s thus far.
- 0.55% of iPhone 4 owners have called in to AppleCare to complain.
- Steve Jobs does not use a bumper on his iPhone 4.
There you have it. We want to hear from you iPhone 4 owners. Did Steve’s talk calm you down? Are you happy with this resolution? Will you be returning your iPhone 4?