Oui oui! In its latest mobile metrics report, AdMob takes a look at the geographic distribution of the iPhone and iPod touch for the first time (publicly, at least). Truth be told, the results are pretty interesting. First, the background: AdMob serves mobile ads and is surely the go-to option for iPhone OS devs and mobile Web devs alike. The group analyzed data from over 16.8 million unique iPhones and iPod touch units browsing over 7,000 mobile sites and using over 2,500 different ad-toting apps over the course of June. Here are some highlights from AdMob’s findings:
- 54 percent of iPhone and iPod touch users are in the United States.
- Following the U.S., France, Germany and the UK each had more than five percent of all iPhone and iPod touch devices.
- iPod touch users represent 38 percent of total iPhone OS devices in North America.
- Of the 45 million iPhone OS devices Apple has sold, approximately 13 million iPhones and 12 million iPod touch units have been sold in the US. That leaves roughly 20 million devices spread across the rest of the world.
Looking beyond Apple, AdMob tosses=d a tasty little Android tidbit in last month’s report as well. “Requests from the Android OS increased 25 percent month over month. Android has five percent worldwide OS share and is slightly ahead of Windows Mobile for the first time.” Ok don’t get too excited — Android hasn’t yet exceeded Windows mobile’s market share where devices are concerned. Apparently Android users just do a whole lot more browsing and play with a whole lot more apps than WinMo users. Hit the jump for AdMob’s press release.
AdMob June 2009 Metrics Report Details
Distribution of iPhone OS Devices by Country
46% of iPhone & iPod touch Users Outside the U.S. and Growing
SAN MATEO, Calif. and LONDON, July 23, 2009 – AdMob, the world’s largest mobile advertising platform, examines the geographic distribution of iPhone OS users in its June 2009 Mobile Metrics Report. AdMob’s latest report also uses this network data in combination with Apple disclosed figures to estimate the number of iPhone and iPod touch devices in various countries.
The report finds that worldwide adoption of Apple devices continues to grow. While North America leads with 58 percent of iPhone and iPod touch users, Western Europe and Asia have increasingly become popular geographic regions, representing 26 and seven percent of Apple device users, respectively. The worldwide ratio of iPhone to iPod touch users in the AdMob network was roughly two to one in June; although this varied from region to region, this ratio has remained relatively constant over the last several months, implying a similar growth rate for both devices worldwide.
Highlights from the June 2009 AdMob Mobile Metrics Report:
- 54 percent of iPhone and iPod touch users are in the United States
- Following the U.S., France, Germany and the UK each had more than five percent of all iPhone and iPod touch devices
- iPod touch users represent 38 percent of total iPhone OS devices in North America
- Requests from the Android OS increased 25 percent month over month. Android has five percent worldwide OS share and is slightly ahead of Windows Mobile for the first time
For the first time, AdMob’s June 2009 Mobile Metrics Report also features an estimated breakdown of the number of iPhone and iPod touch devices sold in various countries. Given Apple’s recent announcement that 45 million iPhone OS devices have been sold worldwide1, AdMob estimates that there have been 13 million iPhone and 12 million iPod touch units sold to date in the U.S. based on user data in AdMob’s network. Additional details and worldwide country estimates are listed in the feature section of the report.
This analysis is based on the 16.8 million unique users on iPhone and iPod touch devices on the more than 7,000 mobile sites and 2,500 applications in AdMob’s network in June 2009, the vast majority of which were free to download. Please see the notes section of the full report and the Metrics blog for more details on methodology.
Visit AdMob’s Metrics Report site to access the full June 2009 report, view past reports, or sign up to get an email notification when future reports become available. AdMob stores and analyzes handset and operator data from every ad request in its network to optimize ad serving. Each month, the AdMob Mobile Metrics Report aggregates this data to provide insights into major trends in the mobile ecosystem.