Just a few days ago we told you that Verizon Wireless stores were getting the HP Mini 1151NR and now we have official confirmation (from an announcement going out tomorrow) along with a few more details. First off, pricing is indeed $199.99 after $50 mail-in rebate and on a 2-year Mobile Broadband contract. Also confirmed are pricing plans, which many will be happy to learn start at just $39.99 a month for 250MB. Yup, Verizon has upped the data allowance on the $39.99 plan from 50MB and overage is still set at 10 cents per megabyte. Unchanged is the $59.99 per month plan, complete with 5GB and 5 cents per megabyte overage. For the additional twenty bucks a month, we think going with the latter is a safer bet if you’re going to be doing more with your connected HP Mini than just checking a few emails and light browsing from time to time. Hit the jump for the full press release along with a second release, also due out tomorrow, covering Verizon’s full mobile broadband portfolio.
HP Mini 1151NR from Verizon Wireless
The HP Mini 1151NR is available on the nation’s largest and most reliable 3G network on May 17, 2009. This netbook offers customers a compact, lightweight device with the added benefit of Verizon Wireless’ Mobile Broadband network built right into the HP Mini 1151NR. Customers traveling abroad can use Verizon Wireless’ GlobalAccess service to stay connected, informed and entertained in more than 175 destinations; more than 45 of those destinations offer 3G speeds.
The HP Mini 1151NR will be available online at http://www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores. It will cost $199.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate and new two- year activation on a Mobile Broadband plan. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
· Mobile Broadband – EV-DO Revision A (Rev. A) Embedded
· GlobalAccess – Qualcomm Gobi chipset (quad-band GPRS/EDGE/GSM and tri-band HSPA/UMTS)
· 802.11b/g WLAN and Bluetooth®
· Wired Ethernet RJ-45
· Display – 10.1″ Flush Glass (1024 x 576) diagonal LED BrightView Infinity display
· Weight – 2.4 Pounds
· Dimensions – 1″ x 10.3″ x 6.6″
· Power – three-cell battery, 30W AC Adapter
· Processor – Intel Atom N270
· Processor Speed – 1.6 GHz
· System Memory – 1 GB RAM
· Storage Hard Drive – 80 GB hard disk drive
· Operating System – Windows XP Home Edition; Service Pack 3
· USB Ports – Two USB 2.0 ports
· Video – VGA out (requires optional accessory); built-in Webcam 640 x 480, 30 fps
· Audio – Stereo speakers, integrated microphone, combo headphone/microphone jack
· Removable memory – combo SD/MMC card slot
· Limited Warranty – one-year
Verizon Wireless Connectivity Capabilities
· Mobile Broadband – Verizon Wireless’ high-speed wireless network is enhanced with
EV-DO Rev. A technology for fast and efficient Web browsing and access to corporate Intranet and e-mail. Mobile Broadband is available across the U.S. so that customers can keep working when they are on-the-go. Select from one- or two-year Mobile Broadband plans that offer:
· $39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and 10 cents per megabyte overage
· $59.99 monthly access with a 5 GB monthly allowance and 5 cents per megabyte overage
· GlobalAccess – The HP Mini 1151NR makes it easy for customers to stay connected when traveling abroad with GlobalAccess. The HP Mini 1151NR with the embedded Qualcomm GobiTM chipset, works to provide streamlined global mobile broadband access on both CDMA and GSM wireless networks in more than 175 destinations worldwide. Customers will receive a SIM card when they sign up for a GlobalAccess plan. Monthly or pay per use GlobalAccess plans include:
- GlobalAccess Monthly Plan starts at $129.99 monthly access, offering a 100 MB allowance in more than 30 select international destinations ($0.005/KB after allowance), as well as 5 GB allowance for the U.S. and Canada and $0.25/MB overage. All other destinations are charged pay-per-use rates.
- Global Access Pay Per Use is perfect for occasional use and must be purchased with a $59.99 Mobile Broadband service plan in the U.S. The Pay Per Use rate is $0.002/KB in Canada, $0.005/KB in Mexico, and $0.02/KB in more than 175 other destinations.
Capabilities (with appropriate Verizon Wireless service plans)
· E-mail – view, edit, and create e-mail messages with attachments
· Web browse – experience a full Web browsing experience
· Instant Messaging and Social Networking
· Videos and movies – playback videos and movies downloaded via SD card or USB CD/DVD external drive
· Photos – view and create albums or transfer via SD card
· Microsoft Works® – view, but not edit, Microsoft Word and Excel files
Key Pre-Installed Applications
More than 30 applications come pre-installed on the HP Mini 1151NR Netbook including:
· VZ Access Manager
· Internet Explorer 7®
· Adobe® Reader® and Flash® Player
· Microsoft® Works (share and edit Works Word Processor and Spreadsheet files with Microsoft® Office Word and
· Windows Media Player 11TM
· HP Wireless Assistant
· Symantec® Norton Internet Security 2009 (including 60-days of complimentary live updates)
· AOL® AIM®
· Microsoft® Office Excel and vice versa
STAY CONNECTED IN MORE PLACES WITH WIRELESS ACCESS ON PC CARDS, MIFI, NETBOOKS AND MORE FROM VERIZON WIRELESS
Verizon Wireless’ Mobile Broadband Gives Customers Many Options for Accessing the Internet in More Places
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – On the heels of today’s announcement that customers can use the HP Mini 1151 NR netbook to access the nation’s largest and most reliable 3G network, Verizon Wireless also announced beginning Sunday, it will automatically increase the data allowance fivefold for all Mobile Broadband customers on its lowest priced monthly plan. In addition, the company will also introduce new pricing for its Mobile Broadband Connect customers.
Verizon Wireless customers will be able to select from Mobile Broadband month-to-month, one- or two-year plans that include:
· $39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and 10 cents per megabyte overage (currently, the plan offers 50 MB for $39.99 monthly access and 25 cents per megabyte overage)
· $59.99 monthly access with a 5 GB monthly allowance and 5 cents per megabyte overage (currently, the plan offers 5 GB for $59.99 monthly access and 25 cents per megabyte overage)
Verizon Wireless’ Mobile Broadband DayPass is $15 for 24-hour access when any Mobile Broadband device is purchased at full retail price without a monthly service plan.
Mobile Broadband Connect lets customers use their handsets as modems. Beginning Sunday, Verizon Wireless customers can add Mobile Broadband Connect for $49.99 with any qualifying voice plan. Other Mobile Broadband options include:
· $15 with a Nationwide Email Plan
· $30 with a $29.99 or greater data plan or feature
Each option gives customers 5 GB of data usage, and the overage charge will change from 25 cents to 5 cents per MB over the allowance.
Although actual file sizes and customer experiences will vary, the following chart provides an example of different applications based on approximate size assumptions:
The VZAccess Manager solution from Verizon Wireless gives customers easy connection management and automatic installation on Windows® and Mac systems. The software also allows customers to view Wi-Fi hotspots in their areas. Beginning this month, customers who reach specific usage allowance thresholds will be able to receive automatic alerts that pop up during their active sessions in VZAccess Manager.
For more information about Mobile Broadband from Verizon Wireless, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or visit http://www.verizonwireless.com/mobilebroadband.