What’s that? You somehow got a hold of the 22.214.171.124 OS for the BlackBerry Storm? Well, in this heavily-connected world we call BG Land, you’re already rockin’ something old. We’re running 126.96.36.199 on our Storm, and boy, does this thing improve a whole heap more than 188.8.131.52 did. Here’s a list of the improvements we’ve found (and bugs):
- For starters, switching portrait to landscape is even faster than on .75. We’re talking half a second to make a clean switch. No more “double keyboards” (half SureType, half QWERTY) on the screen.
- After around a full day of use, our battery is sitting pretty at 50%. This is probably a 25% increase over .65. We can’t say how much better it is than .75 since that wouldn’t be fair seeing as how it wasn’t in use for long, but we believe there will still be an improvement.
- There was this annoyance where you’d go to tap on an icon, it wouldn’t select if you tried to tap it fast. That’s all cleared up here…
- This was in .75, but DTMF tones in the phone application no longer lag and cause you to hit the wrong prompts, etc.
- The issue where the keyboard sometimes disappears when you are typing is still there.
- In the browser, if you tapped once in the .65 build, the bottom navigational toolbar would hide and so would the top status bar. In .75, only the bottom bar would hide but the top bar would stay. Here in .76, both hide again.
- In the browser, when you flip to landscape, the text size is increased tremendously. It scales up to fit the width of the page. Very helpful.
- There has not been one reboot so far. In .65 there were probably two a day
- There’s a weird bug where sometimes the back button doesn’t actually work. Can’t figure out what causes this to happen. Oh well.
- When navigating through the music player, playing MP3s is probably 50% better than .65 and 20% better than .75. Very, very quick.
- When navigating through photos, thumbnails appear almost instantly. Even on the Bold it sometimes took a while to load, and it loaded them one-by-one. Here they basically just pop-up after a second or two.
- Overall data connectivity feels a little slower in our non-scientific tests. Web pages take a little longer to load and we get the infamous BlackBerry clock when sending messages and Messenger nonsense.
- The camera application has way more problems than it started out with. For instance, the green autofocus rectangle no longer appears, the bottom navigational buttons flicker on and off, and it’s just all around chaos. The camera app in .75 was a little better than .65 so don’t get too worried, we’re sure this will be cleared up.
The OS version, again, is 184.108.40.206 and the platform version is 220.127.116.11. We have no idea in terms of when (or if) this version will be released, and have no additional information for you at this time. Other than the fact that your leaked OS is older than the one we’ve got. Got any questions? Let’s answer a couple of them off the bat… No, we will not send you the software. No, we have no idea what the status of this is, whether it’s being tested on Verizon, or anywhere else, and we don’t know if this will ever be released. It probably will, we just don’t want to promise anything we can’t 100% confirm. The friendly staff at BGR including myself are around to help if you’ve got any others. Just fire them off in the comments.